We're always looking for contributors and comment. Join the conversation! © MMXIII John O'Hara Society.

                                        Ten North Frederick Movie (1958)

From an April 24, 1958 letter to his friend, producer David Brown:

   We went to see TEN NORTH FREDERICK last night, and the word for which you've all been breathlessly waiting is that I liked it. I was very deeply moved, and I was pleased with the production....one universal and spontaneous comment from our group: it is the greatest performance
Gary (Cooper) has given, in which I may say I concur.
_____

The original selection was Spencer Tracy to play Joe Chapin (though one would think he would have  been more suited to play Mike Slattery). Tracy left the set to do John Ford's The Last Hurrah, the story of Boston's Mayor James Curley, and Gary Cooper was chosen to play Joe Chapin.

No comments: