We're always looking for contributors and comment. Join the conversation! © MMXIII John O'Hara Society.

On April 23, 1949, publication of "The Frozen Face." The New Yorker. The Time Element and Other Stories.

"The father and son followed the captain to a window table for two. They were at one of the daytime clubs in the financial district." Father is divorced. Son is a senior at Yale. He tells his father he plans to marry Emmy Channing after graduation, move to Vermont to live near Emmy's father, a Wall Street drop-out who's become an artist, and spend a year or two living off his grandmother's inheritance and reading Great Books. Father does not take this very well. Lots of parent-child adolescent bickering. This is one of those great pieces that tells a lot in a few pages.

On April 23, 1966, publication of "Afternoon Waltz." The Saturday Evening Post. Waiting for Winter. Gibbsville, PA. 

Young John Wesley Evans in his mid-twenties lives alone in his deceased parents' home at 1008 Lantenengo Street (between Tenth and Eleventh streets). Percy and Harriet Shields live two doors up. Harriet gives John dancing lessons on afternoons, and they eventually end up in bed.

Here's one of the memorable passages:

   "But you're afraid of tenderness, aren't you?"
   "I don't know," he said.
   "You are. And so am I," she said. "I could show you what it can be, but then you'd never come back. Don't look at my neck, my chin, John. The rest of me is very nice."
   "I want to see the rest of you," he said.
   "Sometime I'll let you, but now you must go."
   "Why not now? The door is closed," he said.
   "Please go. But if you want to, you can come back tonight."
   "How can I? Your husband will be here."
   "Come at eleven o'clock. The front door will be unlocked, and I'll be here."
   "Where will your husband be?"
   "My baby will be sound asleep, snoring, and dead drunk. And nothing will wake him before five o'clock tomorrow morning."
___

There is no house at 1008 Mohantongo (Lantenengo) Street. Instead there is an old spring house.

I have stood at the corner of Mohantongo and Tenth and looked at the steep hill down which John's housekeeper Mrs. Lundy used to walk several times a week to do the shopping.

Cathy Fiorillo of Penn State successfully adapted this story for the stage.


No comments: