We're always looking for contributors and comment. Join the conversation! © MMXIII John O'Hara Society.

From an April 25, 1928 letter to Robert Simonds:

   TIME is still experimenting with me. I saw Luce the other day....Through F.P.A.'s kindness I am a potential contributor to the New Yorker once more.

On April 25, 1931, publication of "The Office Switchboard." The New Yorker.

   Blodgett, White, White & Van Deventer . . . . I will ring him for you . . . . Blodgett, White, White & Van Deventer . . . . Which Mr. White, please; there are three of them and another is dead. I will ring Mr. Huntley Q. White . . . .
   Blodgett, White, White & Van Deventer . . . . Oh, hello. I didn't reccanize your voice. Whyn't you call me last night like you said you would? . . . . Oh, don't give me - just a minute. Gotta call.
   ......
   . . . . I just had the senior partner that time. He calls every morning at this time and you should hear some of his converstions . . . . a woman, of course. Oh, if I ever got fired here I'd bet there'd be some sleepless nights around the office.
   .......
But say, Freddie, I can't understand last night. You weren't too sick to telephone me at four o'clock yesterday afternoon.....Listen, I'm busy. Meet me at a quartera one. Usual place . . . .
   Blodgett, White, White & Van Deventer.

No comments: