THE JOHN O'HARA SOCIETY

                                           Smoking Cigarettes - From and Age Gone By

On May 16, 1931, publication of "Papa and Smoking." The New Yorker.

In this short filler two young teen-age women discuss parental permission to smoke.

   "Does she let you smoke at home?"
   "Why - uh, She doesn't mind. It's Papa that minds." ....
   "I'm going to be allowed to smoke as soon as I get through school. Papa knows I smoke, but he doesn't want me to till I get through school; then I can smoke at home."

___

On May 16, 1964, publication of "Can I Stay Here?" The Saturday Evening Post. The Horse Knows the Way.

Thersa Livingston is an elderly famous actress. Miss Evelyn Blackwell, the twenty-one year old daughter of former lover John Blackwell, is coming to her hotel apartment to lunch with her. It's a first-time meeting. Evelyn appears, but she's had too much to drink. She's obviously somewhat unstable. After picking at her food she retires to a bedroom. After too much time passes, Terry seeks her out, and this is how it ends:

    She went to the bedroom, and the girl was lying on the bed, clad in hyer slip, staring at the ceiling. "Do you want anything, Evelyn?"
   "Yes," said the girl.
   "What?"
   "Can I stay here a while?"
   "Child, you can stay here as long as you like," said Theresa Livingston.


  



No comments: