We're always looking for contributors and comment. Join the conversation! © MMXIII John O'Hara Society.

From an April 7, 1960 letter to Bennett Cerf.

I am in a peculiar position. I am working harder and more successfully than ever before ... I will be dead a long time and I want to publish while I'm alive.

Most novelists are such plodders that they take longer to write one novel than I do to write two. That's partly because they stall and partly because they don't know their business ...

I have written an 85-page novella, as yet untitled, which is to be one of three that I would like to publish under the all-embracing title SERMONS AND SODA WATER, a quotation from Byron that is very apt. (See Bartlett). All three novellae will have to do with the Twenties and Thirties.
___
The three novellae in Sermons and Soda Water are "Imagine Kissing Pete," "The Girl on the BaggageTruck," and We're Friends Again."


No comments: