We're always looking for contributors and comment. Join the conversation! © MMXIII John O'Hara Society.

                                                                "F.P.A."

From an April 5, 1960 letter to the New York Herald Tribune:

I have read and listened to the obituaries and panegyrics of F.P.A., and most of them are pretty routine stuff ... F.P.A. got me my first job in New York - on the Herald Tribune. Six years later I was able to say thank you: I dedicated  "Appointment in Samarra" to him.
__
Franklin Pierce Adams (1881-1960) was a nationally known syndicated columnist. He was best known for "The Conning Tower," which featured contributions from many of the literary greats of the day, including John O'Hara.
__
From Appointment in Samarra: Part of a conversation between Julian English and Monsignor Creedon on the verandah of the Lantenengo Country Club on the evening of December 25, 1930:

   "We're both right, son," said Monsignor Creedon. "... As F.P.A. would say, I can take my ambition or leave it alone..."
   "Do you read F.P.A.?"
   "My God, yes. I get the World every day."

No comments: