O'HARA SOCIETY:: NEW YEAR ALERT!

Philadelphia.
6 January 2009

Happy New Year to All!

The stated turn-out for the Society's AGM, scheduled for 30 January (Friday) at the Warwick Hotel, Philadelphia, is under-subscribed. At this point, fewer than 10 persons (couples) have indicated that they will attend, falling well short of the number required to book a private space.

Consequently, I will today cancel our group dinner with Warwick. For those who have stated that they will be attending, many thanks for your prompt and cordial response. We'll have our own table at the Warwick for dining and conversation only. I'm thinking that at a breakfast meeting 31 January (Saturday) we will have the opportuinity to discuss O'Hara papers.

So far, I have one paper, A Companion Guide to Appointment in Samarra by Robert Saliba. I'll have this by request via John.OHara.Society@comcast,net this week for reference. I will have hardcopies prepared for the AGM. As usual, after the breakfast, I'll be happy to lead a tour of 'O'Hara's Philadelphia.'

The meeting is important, as well, as I'm proposing that we establish a membership fee (voluntary, or otherwise). I'm concerned that I'm in possession of O'Hara related materials (records, pictures, audio tapes, and the like) that, due to the lack of money to duplicate the materials, can't/won't be distributed to the membership. I had hoped that an 'angel' might appear to undertake this task. But that, seemingly, was not meant to be.

If you have any thoughts about the above, please let me know.

Yours respectfully,
Richard


Tel.: +(00)1:267:253:1086
P H I L A D E L P H I A
John O'Hara Collection via www.philabooks.webs.com
_________________________________
If you are responding to commentary on the John O'Hara Society blog, please use the comment facility at the website to do so. If you wish to contribute, have a story suggestion, or wish to contact the Society off-line, please e-mail. No general comments will be copied, pasted, and posted. For an immediate response, please telephone.

No comments: