A Proposal for Christmas - in 1929 America

THE JOHN O'HARA SOCIETY

On December 7, 1929, publication of "Merrie, Merrie, Merrie." The New Yorker. The Orange County Afternoon Delphian Society.

"It is a wonderful thing how the whole civilized world can observe Christmas, isn't it? Such oneness about it. And everybody with their own particular plans . . . Well, I have my own particular plan . . . We all like the English Christmas most of all. I mean Dickens has impressed it so in our minds that the English Christmas just sort of seemed to set the tradition for Christmas generally, didn't it? Well among other things we always think of around Christmas are Yule logs and coach-and-fours and so forth. What else? Why carol singers, of course. Carol singers, just like they do in Boston and a lot of other places.

"The thought struck me the other day: Wouldn't it be nice if Afternoon Delphian had a group of carol singers this Christmas?

"I remember when I was a very small girl it used to be done and I remember lying awake and hearing the carols and thinking how beautiful a thought it was for some people to stay up to greet the Christmas morn. I think there ought to be more of that sort of thing."

No comments: