THE JOHN O'HARA SOCIETY

On June 9, 1928, publication of "Tennis." The New Yorker.

   I'll never be much of a tennis player, but I get a lot of fun out of it. And you've got to grant it's better exercise than golf. It's a toss-up which is more strenuous: lacrosse or hockey, in my mind. I'm not one of those that say tennis is the most - uh - gruelling sport in the world, but by God when you've finished a good, lively five-set match on a hot summer's afternoon, by God you know you haven't been - well - twiddling your thumbs.....
   So I'm getting in my tennis now, while I'm young, because the pace I live you can't expect to have the same kind of heart when you're forty that you do now. Time enough for golf when I'm forty or so. Course I'm not implying it's an old man's game....

No comments: