THE JOHN O'HARA SOCIETY

A Different Workplace Back Then

On June 11, 1938, publication of "And You Want a Mountain." The New Yorker. Files on Parade.

Mr. Loughram is trying to make it with co-worker Miss J:

   "What's the matter with me, Miss J?"
   "What do you mean what's the matter with you?"
   "What I say. What's the matter with me? I don't know how many times in the last two years I've offered to do little things for you and you refuse as if I'd made you a proposition."
   "Oh, I don't."
   "Yes, you do. Several times when this friend of mine has stopped for me I've asked you if you cared for a lift, instead of riding home in the subway. Most people would jump at the chance. I know I do. I'd rather have a breath of fresh air and get home a few minutes late than ride in the subway, any day. But every time I ask you you'd think I was a White Slaver."
   "Oh, I do not," said Miss J. "You know, Mr. Loughran, you're making a mountain out of a molehill."
   "Yes, that's the trouble," said Mr. Loughran. It's because I'm a molehill and you want a mountain."
   "I don't follow."
   It's simple. My size. Because of my stature. Naturally I know how tall I am, or rather how tall I'm not, and I also see you going home occasionally with the fellows that call for you, and they're all tall, whereas I'm under average heightth."
___
"heightth" is the way the author spells it.

Advice for Mr. Loughran: Maybe she doesn't like the color of your eyes. There are some women you'll never make in a million years. Pick on someone your own size. And be grateful don't live in an age where you could get sued for harassment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL! Ah the good old days, when one could say things and not be sued!