THE JOHN O'HARA SOCIETY

On May 23, 1931, publication of  "Ninety Cents for a Sardine." The New Yorker.

An Idlewood Golf Club member complains about the price of food: "Ninety cents for a little sardine just because it goes by the name of 'aw derve' - I'll eat home before I pay those prices again."

On May 23, 1964, publication of "I Spend My Days in Longing." The New Yorker. The Horse Knows the Way.

In 1931 Jimmy, a bass player in a band, is depressed. Doctors can't find anything wrong with him. "You know, I made pretty good money since I was eighteen years if age. I been all over this country three or four times, and to Europe twice. Broads, I had the best in the world. All kinds, shapes, and colors. And the kind of work I like to do...." He confides to his fellow musician friend Percy that four years hence, on August 16, 1935, he is going to end his life. And he does.

The themes of depression and suicide appear significantly in John O'Hara's writings. He himself suffered this malady, and a few times he himself contemplated ending his life. See Steven Goldleaf,
John O'Hara - A Study of the Short Fiction, pages 108-109.

No comments: